Thursday, December 4, 2014

Manga and the Japanese Comics Tradition

Learning about the Manga culture and Japanese lifestyle was probably one of the craziest things this semester. I knew about Manga before this class but I didn't fully comprehend how vast it was. There really is a manga for everyone. I can't believe they practically have a manga for almost every fetish out there. It is pretty impressive honestly. I can understand how people could get freaked out when learning about this culture in Japan but not all the fetish mangas are terrible. I like how there are some with subtle and cutesy approaches like pantsu and yuri manga.

Osamu Tezuka was the original gangsta of manga! It was awesome learning about his work and seeing how much of an influence he made on his nation. I completely understand why more people went to his funeral than the emperor. He was a TRUE master of the art of manga. He is the father of it. Looking into his comic, Buddha Vol. 1, it takes you on a wild ride. His frames say so much with so little. He shows you scenes from so many different angles. I love that there is text but it is very minimal. He would rather let his picture speak what needs to get across for the reader to understand which I admire. If you are loading up a comic spread with a wall of text it's like having to spell everything out for them. I always gravitate to the comics with less text because I'd rather look through all the pictures they produced and decipher what is going on myself.

Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma is a beautiful work. The characters are awesome and it was incredible to see the black and white panda being used to its advantage of the black and white comic. She used him as a wonderful compositional tool. You can tell she was heavily inspired by Tezuka. Her layouts contain so much emotion, movement, and simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment